Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Make Jupiter

Last week I spent hours working on a Shutterfly project. I had just got it completed and hit save when I lost the website connection. One thing you learn from being a journalist is that you "save early and save often." All you have to do is lose one completed project to know how important it is to save frequently. And I did for this project. The problem is, when I reestablished the connection and went back to Shutterfly to find the project, it had only saved the first few pages. Everything else was gone. I went ballistic. I was so angry. Hours wasted. I got up and walked away from the computer, my mouth pouring forth speech that was not appropriate for anyone's ears. One of my biggest pet peeves is technology that doesn't do as it's supposed to (I'm sure God is giggling at me right now, thinking of His creation not doing what it's supposed to). So instead of continuing this rant, I decided to turn it into a discussion with God. I don't know that I could even qualify it as prayer, with the ferocity with which I spoke. It was a very one-sided discussion. I needed to vent. So here's pretty much how it went:

"Lord, I'm sorry for these outbursts, but come on! You saw me finish it! I did everything right! It's not fair! God, imagine if you were right in the middle of making Mars, and just as you were about to finish it off, it disappeared. Mars is gone. Imagine how you'd feel! Of course, you're divine, so I'll bet you'd just say, 'I'll make one better' and go make Jupiter."

It was then in the second of silence I gave my Lord that He whispered to my spirit...

"Then make Jupiter."

It caught me off guard. And instantly calmed me. Of course! Instead of wallowing, throwing a fit and complaining, just get back to work and make it better!

So I did.

And the project is. It's actually probably two times better than it was. I was able to tweak some parts, make a far more powerful addition and embellish in places I hadn't thought of before.

Now here's the thing. I would have redone it anyway. And it might have been better regardless. But God did something beautiful in my temper tantrum. Rather than scold me, rather that just listen to me angrily and vigorously expound on my poor-pitiful-me fortune, God in His sweet grace and love, whispered a pretty funny comeback to calm me down. He's so clever. He's so amazing. He's so beautiful. He's so loving. He's so patient. He's so awesome.

Now, I am never going to make a Jupiter, but created in His image, I can certainly make a better attempt at whatever I am working on, no matter the roadblocks, diversions and failures. And trust me, anytime in the future when this happens again ... and it will happen ... I have a new mantra. I will do as God sweetly commanded ... and make Jupiter.

No comments:

Post a Comment