Tuesday, August 27, 2019

Slightly Off

I drilled the hole off by maybe an eighth of an inch, but it was enough. I was trying to install a towel bar that required me to use my left hand to drill because of the location. As I am a righty, somehow I misjudged and the hole was slightly off. When you've drilled into drywall, that can pose a problem as that eighth of an inch may make the stability of the bar less secure. I was growing increasingly frustrated with my ineptitude in completing what I thought would be a simple project. My husband saw me struggling and heard me say, "I don't know what to do," to which he sweetly replied, "Pray." I responded back, "I don't think God cares about my towel bar."

I can't believe that came out of my mouth, and my husband was quite taken aback. He replied: "That's not what my wife told me. She told me her God cares about everything."

With that statement, he was reminding me of a story early in our relationship. I was getting dressed for the day, couldn't decide what to wear and prayed out loud, "God, which shirt should I wear?" Brad then said, "You honestly think God cares which shirt you wear?" To which I responded, "My God cares about everything." I'd always believed that. A God who created the minuscule details of this beautiful world, cares about everything. My mother taught me that.

For me to respond about the towel bar as I did went against what I believed deep in my heart. So I clarified my statement to my husband immediately after that: "With all the more important things going on in people's lives, I hate to bother Him with a towel bar." But I went ahead anyways and quietly prayed, "Please help me, Lord." I had no idea how I would fix this, nor how to even pray for a solution. But then I immediately found a way to finagle some toothpicks into the hole to move the screw over just enough for make it work. I quietly said to my husband, "You were right. He did care about my towel bar."

Now I don't know that God was up in Heaven checking up on me wondering when I was going to ask for His help with this task, but I do know He cares when trials and unforeseen circumstances can irritate me to the point of anger and frustration. He says via Peter to cast those burdens (1 Peter 5:7). A God that knows the number of hairs on my head (Matt. 10:30) and names each and every one of the billions of stars in the heavens (Psalm 147:4), also cares about a crazy girl in Alabama installing a towel bar.

I hate that I let myself get to the point where I thought my frustrations were unworthy of a heavenly consultation. But I'm grateful for a husband who reminded me to Whom I belong and got me back in the mindset of giving God control. Glory to the Most High God for loving me enough to gently guide my tiny innovation and miraculously stabilize that which I could not. What an awesome, precious, loving Father we have.

No comments:

Post a Comment