Sunday, February 8, 2009

The Bravest Ones

While doing my devotion a couple days ago, I came upon Jeremiah 7:6. In it, the Lord warns His people to not oppress the orphan, widow or foreigners. He reminds them of this again in Zech. 7:10. Not oppressing the orphan and widow is a no brainer. Talk about kicking someone when they're down. But the Lord includes the foreigner in that statement. He doesn't want people new to an area to be neglected or treated poorly. Believe it or not, they, too, are down.

Our family has moved to areas where we have been neglected and treated poorly. If you are new to an area and people completely ignore you and don't make a conscious effort to welcome you, this is not something the Lord looks kindly upon. The Lord expects us as His children to welcome new people. There are angels we have met in our moves that reached out to make us feel not just welcome, but as friends, as family. And we are so grateful to the Lord God for them. Going through this yet again, I am praising God today for the ones who smile and say hello; for the ones who greet you not with just a handshake, but also a hug; and for the bravest ones who dare to invite the stranger into their homes to visit, play and eat. I know the Father has a special place in His heart for His precious ones who reach out. If you are not one of these, perhaps you'll reach out today. Just as I keep telling myself when I meet anyone these days, be thinking: "This could be my new best friend!" If you are one who reaches out to the foreigner, know I am thanking the Almighty for you and praying you are showered with blessings ... as you have blessed me.

No comments:

Post a Comment