Monday, February 23, 2009

Security Gate

I live in a gated apartment community. Basically what that means is everytime we enter our complex, we need to punch in a code to get in. To exit, we simply approach the gate and it will slowly open to allow us to go through. It's just an added security measure for this landlord and the renters here. As a deterent for approaching the exit gate too closely, there are rebar spikes about every foot aimed right at your car grill. Try to go through the gates while they are opening, and you stand a chance of getting your car scraped up.

Recently someone rammed those exit gates, to the point of breaking them and bending back one of the spikes. I didn't see the incident or vehicle that hit it, but unless it was a tank, I'm guessing it's got some damage. Equally so, the gate is damaged. And now the complex's security is currently compromised.

When looking at that gate today, I thought, you know, that's a lot like Scripture. God has given us His commands and His rules to obey. His security gate, if you wish. He wants us armed against the Evil One before we head out into the world. Peter warns us that our Adversary prowls around like a lion waiting to devour us (1 Peter 5:8) ... looking for holes in the gate so to speak. And like whatever vehicle rammed our gate here, I'm guessing Satan does quite a bit of ramming at gates himself trying to get through. And the times we allow him in, we take a chance of getting damaged.

I prefer making it difficult for him. If I obey God's word from loving Him and loving my neighbor, to the Ten Commandments on down, I'm thinking that's going to be quite a tough gate for Satan to try to get through. Paul tells us to put on the full armor of God in Ephs. 6:13-17, so that we can stand against the wiles of the devil. He says righteousness, truth, faith, assurance of salvation and a willingness to obey and share God's Word are our greatest security measures.

Am I more comfortable knowing the security gates are fully functional here at this apartment complex? No doubt. Am I more comfortable facing the world each day with my Spiritual security gate fully functional ... no doubt. I am strong in the Lord and His power. There's no better Security System on earth.

1 comment:

  1. Amen Jill! On the surface it seems so easy. God provides his protection. All we have to do is stay in the light. Some days are easier than others.
    Ah, but God loves us so much and He is SO faithful! All honor, praise and glory belong to Him! Thanks for the post. We love you!

    The Stuyvenbergs

    ReplyDelete