Thursday, February 26, 2009

What the righteous do

My husband asked me this morning how I felt about him working a Kairos ministry. If you're familiar with the Walk to Emmaus, this is a similar weekend designed for people in prison. It's a powerful spiritual experience that changes lives, grows leaders and builds the Kingdom of God like nothing else I've ever seen. Brad was asked to participate in an upcoming Kairos and he's excitedly thinking about it. My initial reaction to his question may surprise you. When he told me it would require hours and hours of training, including three eight-hour Saturdays, I balked saying, "I'm alone here every day Monday through Friday. I'd prefer if you weren't gone on Saturdays, too." My husband then said, "But do I make this decision based on what I want or what God is calling me to do?" And then he went off to work.

Then I did my Bible study for the day. I'm currently doing a study on prophesies of the Old and New Testament, and the chapter I'm on right now has to do with the end times ... always a cheerful, pick-me-up subject. My study asked what Jesus commanded us to do in preparation for those scary days as described in Matthew chapters 24 and 25. Through parables, the Lord said to be watchful (look for the signs and keep alert to Christ's coming), to work to the very end and to multiply the kingdom with our talents. Then Jesus goes a little deeper talking about what the righteous need to do to the very end. He gives six directives: feed the hungry; give drink to the thirsty; welcome strangers; provide clothing to the naked; care for the sick; and lastly, visit the imprisoned.

You, know, I think I'll be okay alone those Saturdays after all ... or perhaps I can find one of those six to do myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment