Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Setting the Believers An Example


When our family moved from Wisconsin to Alabama in January, our college-age daughter, Ayla, made this comment: "Mom, I will never be coming home again. I will always be a guest." It was a profound statement. After all, we were leaving the home she had spent the last six years of her life and she was spending most of her time away at school. Our new home could be a place she may never live.

Ayla came to see our new location over her Spring Break last week. Her visit was a welcome one and we delighted in enjoying her company and she ours. But one thing surprised me about her visit that I had to share with my husband yesterday after I returned from driving her back to school. Ayla had changed. She had matured. It was one of the most beautiful things I had seen in her. And this happened just since Christmas. Whenever I was in the kitchen cooking, Ayla jumped up to help. When I was doing laundry, she ran in to help me fold. When I was vacuuming, she dusted. When I did dishes, she was right beside me offering to help. The Ayla at Christmas would need to be asked to help with these things. And the icing on the cake ... when I stayed in her dorm room the night before I left, she offered me her bed, making a place on the floor for herself with a sleeping bag and bed roll (which I climbed into before she could). All selfless, precious glimpses into the fine young lady she has become. She truly fulfilled a Bible verse I have impressed upon the youth I've taught for years: "Let no one despise your youth, but set the believers an example in speech and conduct, in love, in faith, in purity." 1 Tim. 4:12

As we took our last walk around her campus before I left, she said to me, "Mom, I've learned my home is with you and Dad, no matter where it is. Alabama is my home now."

I pray my faith and spiritual growth will one day impress the Father that He can say, "Hey, Jesus, have you seen Jill? She's growing up! Look what she did to help my children. Look what she did to tell others about you. I'm so proud of her." And I say with all praise and glory to the Father, my home is with Abba, God Almighty, everywhere He is.

No comments:

Post a Comment