Friday, March 20, 2009

Public Affection

Yesterday I reached out to give my son a hug while we were shopping and stopped myself. Not because of the usual reason, which is when he quietly whispers, "Public," as a reminder to me that he doesn't want any motherly affection where someone might see (ah, teenage boys). I stopped instead because just as I was about to reach out and hug him I remembered that he had fallen that afternoon on a gravel road and had scraped up his back, left arm and hands to bloodied abrasions. I knew if I hugged him I would graze those tender areas and cause him pain, so I refrained. He noticed that I started to reach for him and pulled back. He said, "What, Mom?" I told him I'd almost hugged him, forgetting the wounds his T-shirt covered. He then reached out for me, putting both of his hands on my shoulders, and hugging me. "I love you, Mom," he said. "You've done a lot for us over the last few months since we moved. Thank you." I almost started to cry. Here was my son, who typically shuns public affection, hugging me in a department store where we were surrounded by people. I was moved beyond words and glowed the rest of the day just thinking about that brief moment.

As all things do when I'm dealing with my children, I reflected to my relationship with my Father in Heaven. I thought about the countless times He reaches out to me to hug me, sharing His beautiful world with me, His precious Son and His great mercy. And thinking to myself, how many times I have put my hands up and said to Him, "Public." Today was one of those days. I was walking through a subdivision, and while doing so was praying for a youth friend of mine who is sharing the word of God with a student in his high school who is a proclaimed atheist. I was lifting him in prayer, when I suddenly realized I was praying out loud. It was then I saw a man staring at me who was fertilizing in his yard. I instantly shut up until I rounded the corner. Not because I didn't want him to see my praying, but rather because I was worried he'd think I was a nutcase talking to myself. Basically, I was telling God, "Oops, hold on a second. Public." After I rounded the corner, I wished I'd have said, "Not crazy ... just talking to Jesus." What a discipleship opportunity I missed!

Needless to say, I'm going to spend a significant period of time today telling my Father how very much I love Him and praise Him for everything He's done for me not just in the last few months, but my whole life. I am blessed beyond words. And I'm going to start right now, here, in public ... Lord God, I LOVE YOU! You are so amazing. You are beautiful. You are awesome. Thank you, Lord. And Lord, even with all my wounds ... feel free to hug me, any time.

No comments:

Post a Comment