Monday, March 16, 2009

No flaw In You

Ouch... that's the feeling I've been getting every time the realtor selling our home in Wisconsin calls me with a criticism she's received about our home during an Open House. "This isn't updated." "This is ugly." "This looks old." Ouch, ouch, ouch. I read once that a home is an extention of a woman, almost like a child to her. Criticize a woman's child, and it's like taking a knife to the heart. So all these strangers coming into my house are cutting me to pieces. I loved that home. We did many things to it to make it beautiful and ours. And we have such precious memories of living there. So it's hard to hear someone else cut it down.

I was wondering if that's what God feels when we do the same to His creation ... namely to ourselves in the mirror or to others around us. "I'm too fat." "I'm too wrinkly." "I wish this or that was updated." I wonder if God is saying, "Ouch! That's my creation you're criticizing! I think it's beautiful! And I have such great memories of you looking just like that!"

One of my daughter's dearest friends, Cheyenne, is one of the most self-confident people I know. She looks in the mirror and says, "I'm so pretty." You might be thinking to yourself, "How arrogant," but she's not. Chey is a pretty girl, there's no doubt, even when she has her hair dyed pink, blue, green, red, purple or orange, as she frequently does. But to be in her teenage years and be able to look at herself in the mirror and be content, even pleased, with her appearance is a rare thing. I'll bet when God hears her, He says: "Thank you! I think so too!" Chey's got Song of Solomon 4:7 memorized and rightfully so. My daughter has it taped to her mirror. It's something we all can remember: "You are altogether beautiful, my love. There is no flaw in you." Even King David wrote in Psalm 139:14,"I praise you, for I am fearfuly and wonderfully made." That's another one for the mirror.

So rather than do any critiquing today ... I'm just going to take a look at God's creation around me, even that person in the mirror, and say, "Wow, that's really something right there! Gorgeous!" and praise my Father for it.
Now I just hope someone does the same for my house.

1 comment:

  1. As the song says, "Everything is beautiful in its own way." God don't make no junk!

    ReplyDelete